Expandable Cavities (Ex-Cavs) mold undercuts such as threads, dimples, and protrusions.
The patented Ex-Cav design eliminates the engineering, maintenance, and machining required for side action mechanisms which results in smaller moulds or higher mould cavitation.
- Four sizes offered to satisfy a wide range of parts.
- The Ex-Cav expands along a conical shape, 10° per side.
- Manufactured from A-2, 54-57 HRC material for repeatable expansion. For optimal performance, the Ex-Cavs should ride against a hardened striker insert which can be manufactured by Roehr or customer supplied.
- Maximum temperature: 260°C / 500° F
- Expandable Cavities generally operate without lubrication.
- Ex-Cavs can be ordered with molding detail for a ‘mould ready’ component.
- Ex-Cav Fixtures for machining details in house are also available.
- Custom Ex-Cavs are available. Also, when an entire part is formed within the cavity, an A-Series Ex-Cav can be provided.
Ex-Cav maching fixtures
Machining fixtures for ExCavs securely hold the expanding segments in place when grinding, high speed maching or EDM’ing.